Claimant Information:

Guide for Claimants

If you, your family or your institution were the victims of Nazi looting of works of art between 1933-1945, there are a number of options and procedures available which can help you research and possibly recover your looted treasures.

1. Register your losses

You can register your missing property and details of your family history with the Central Registry by emailing us at , or by writing to us (including any documentation) to:
76 Gloucester Place
London W1U 6HJ
Tel: +44 (0)20 7487 3401
Fax: +44 (0)20 7487 4211

All information will be treated in confidence.  

If your family was affected and you wish to pursue a claim, you will need to gather any information on what was looted. The best way to do this is to discuss with any surviving members of the family, or anyone who knew them during the period, what may have been looted and the circumstances of the looting. Should no one be available who recalls exactly what occurred, then try to write down what you and your family may have been told in the past. This information should include, if possible, your family's home and business addresses, details of where the works were obtained and when, and any exhibitions or publications in which they might have appeared during or before your family's ownership.

In addition, collect any available documentation, for instance, inventories, insurance documents or photographs which show the works. This documentation might also include information about any post-war attempts to find or recover the works.

Once you have collected the information, you have two choices. Either you can continue to search on your own, or you can contact an expert on the subject.

2. Research your losses

If you wish to continue the search by yourself, you are now ready to use the Central Registry resources to advance your search. You may search in the Object Database for the missing objects. Or you may access a range of information on the country where your objects were taken. To do this select a country, then look up Research Resources, where you can find the historical records that are available in that country and contact the institution in which they are held. You may also search under Laws in that country, in order to find out which laws if any exist to enable recovery of looted property. Alternatively, you may look up Art Trade, to search for information on a particular dealer's records, or Official Reports, where, in some cases, the latest country investigations are recorded. These can include details of works of art looted during World War II, but which remain unclaimed. This advice also applies to institutions searching for missing looted objects.

If you require personal help with your search, the Central Registry will be pleased to assist. Contact .

© website copyright Central Registry 2023