Artnet Magazine is publishing in serial form Artful Tom, a memoir by Tom Hoving. The first chapter appeared on 4 April 2009.
Tom Hoving describes it as a "reveal-all memoir" in which he tells:
"* Secrets about my madcap, wealthy socialite step-mother.
* How petty theft ignited my art interests.
* How I smuggled art treasures from Europe as a young curator.
* How I helped the Italians get back my beloved million-dollar Euphronios krater.
* Why I got fired from Connoisseur magazine.
* The inside story of the Getty Museum's corrupt Greek and Roman department.
* How I got the police to move bodies out of Central Park as Commissioner of Parks
* Why I loathed being director of the Metropolitan Museum of Art
* Inside stories of ABC's magazine-of-the-air 20/20.
* When the Mona Lisa was sprinkled with water all night at the Metropolitan
* How I suckered France out of one of its prime medieval treasures."