Galerie Georges Petit, Paris
Letters received, 1855-1903
Special Collections. Call Number: 850806
Georges Petit (1856-1920) inherited his father's gallery (founded in 1846), and also his interest in contemporary artists, particularly Impressionists. In addition to mounting important retrospectives of Renoir, Pissaro, and Sisley, Petit used his gallery for important auction sales. Following his death in 1920, the gallery was acquired by Etienne Bignou and Gaston and Josse Bernheim-Jeune. In 1929 Georges Keller was appointed director. The gallery continued until 1933, when it closed and the assets were sold.
The collection of approximately one hundred items consists in letters from over forty correspondents addressed to Georges Petit and to his associates Hamman and Alexandre Protais. They concern the sale of paintings, subject matter, and forthcoming exhibitions.
Location of Record
The Getty Research Institute
for the History of Art and the Humanities
Special Collections and Visual Resources
1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 1100
Los Angeles, CA 90049-1688
Tel.: +1 310 440-7390
Fax: +1 310 440-7780
Getty Research Library Catalogue Online
<http://library.getty.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?DB=local&PAGE=First>, accessed 6 July 2007.
N.H. Yeide, K. Akinsha, A.L. Walsh (eds.), AAM Guide to Provenance Research, Washington 2001, p. 234.